Although health care providers say electronic health records offer benefits, some complain that their EHR systems are not designed with the user in mind and, as a result, are inefficient and not intuitive.
In an iHealthBeat Special Report by Kenny Goldberg, experts discussed efforts to improve EHR usability.
The Special Report includes comments from:
- David Blumenthal, former national coordinator for health IT;
- Rod Piechowski, senior director of healthcare information systems at the Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society;
- Matt Quinn, a computer scientist at the National Institute of Standards and Technology;
- Jacob Reider, acting CMO at the Office of the National Coordinator for Health IT; and
- Joseph Scherger, a family physician and vice president for primary care and academic affairs at Eisenhower Medical Center in Rancho Mirage, Calif.
The complete transcript of this Special Report is available as a PDF.
Running Time: 6:01