Last week, the departments of Defense and Veterans Affairs issued a request for information regarding the development of a laboratory information application within their integrated electronic health record system, or iEHR system, NextGov reports.
The lab information application would manage lab test orders, including information from biopsy tests and electron microscopes. According to the RFI, the application should be able to:
- Handle complex testing work flows;
- Manage storage, tracking and distribution of specimens;
- Quickly format and deliver lab test results to clinicians;
- Send lab test results to individual patient records; and
- Support automated instrumentation.
Interested vendors have until July 12 to respond to the RFI.
Pharmacy Information System RFI
In related news, DOD and VA also have issued an RFI regarding the development of a pharmacy information application within their iEHR system (Brewin, NextGov, 6/15).