The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality has released two guides designed to help physician practices and independent pharmacies adopt electronic prescribing technology, Health Data Management reports (Goedert, Health Data Management, 6/11).
The 11-chapter guide for physician offices and the seven-chapter guide for independent pharmacies offer information and tools to assist in the e-prescribing implementation process (Conn, Modern Healthcare, 6/11).
Guide for Physician Offices
The guide for physicians covers topics such as:
- Building an e-prescribing implementation team;
- Evaluating e-prescribing vendors; and
- Planning for a transition to electronic health record systems.
Guide for Independent Pharmacists
The guide for independent pharmacies covers topics such as:
- Assessing pharmacy workflow;
- Notifying patients and health care providers about the launch of an e-prescribing system; and
- Evaluating the return on investment for adopting e-prescribing technology (Miliard, Healthcare IT News, 6/12).