On Tuesday, eight health care organizations released informational brochures aimed at promoting greater understanding and use of personal health records, Modern Healthcare reports (Robeznieks, Modern Healthcare, 3/14).
One set of brochures targets health care providers, and another set of brochures targets patients (Walsh, CMIO, 3/13).
The organizations that developed the brochures include the:
- American Cancer Society;
- American College of Physicians,
- American Diabetes Society;
- American Health Information Management Association;
- American Heart Association;
- American Osteopathic Association of Medical Informatics;
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association; and
- Medical Group Management Association.
The brochures contain information such as:
- Descriptions of the benefits of PHRs;
- Testimonials from PHR users;
- Screenshots of PHRs; and
- A glossary of terms (Goedert, Health Data Management, 3/13).
In their announcement, the groups said the brochures will "sho[w] consumers how they can use PHRs to store vital health information such as medical conditions, allergies, medications, and doctor or hospital visits in one convenient and secure place" (Modern Healthcare, 3/14).