On Thursday, AT&T announced the formation of a new division, called AT&T ForHealth, that will work to unite several health care-related business ventures, the Dallas Morning News reports (Godinez, Dallas Morning News, 11/4).
AT&T ForHealth will focus on creating cloud-based and wireless services that will include:
- Health data exchange systems;
- Patient alert systems;
- Picture archiving systems;
- Remote monitoring systems (Mearian, Computerworld, 11/4);
- Smart phone applications (Lohr, "Bits," New York Times, 11/4); and
- Telemedicine systems (Computerworld, 11/4).
The new business unit also will provide technology for the health information exchanges mandated under the federal health reform law ("Bits," New York Times, 11/4).